.25 ACP Pistol Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by WarEagleEd, Jan 17, 2018.

1. WarEagleEd

WarEagleEd Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting a .25 ACP pistol and would like some suggestions. I can buy used or new, but not looking to spend too much. I've been looking at Colt Automatics/Juniors and the Phoenix Arms HP25. The former usually sells for $300+ on Gun Broker, the later can be had for under $150, I think. However, I am open to anything so long as it is made well and doesn't have a lot of or serious know issues.

Suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. Toakey

Toakey NRA Life Member

In the 1970’s I bought a Raven Arms 25 ACP. I seem to recall it was less than $100 NIB. You could use your watch pocket on your jeans as a holster for it. I doubt I shot 2, maybe 3 boxes of ammo through it. As well as I recall, it was reliable. Also, When my brother came to visit we took it to the range and he was surprised at how accurate it was. I don’t remember the distance; 10 to 20 feet? Sorry my memory isn’t better. I don’t think they are made any more but I occasionally see them used at gun shows.

Just curious. Why do you want one? To help build a collection?

Keep in mind that for protection you may be better off with a 22 WMR. It has higher velocity, more energy (Depending on bullet weight,etc), more likely to expand (I don’t think the 25 is fast enough to create expansion), etc. and almost as much bullet mass.

Hope you find you gun.
    Tom

3. Renaldo

Renaldo Well-Known Member

I would suggest skipping the Phoenix. If you want a range curiosity, a phoenix can be okay, but if you want to carry it.... don't. You say "I am open to anything so long as it is made well and doesn't have know issues." and so that wouldn't include the Phoenix.

If I were to buy a .25 ACP I would get a North American Arms Guardian 25. About $330 and worth every penny. For a decent .25, you'll find they go for just north of $300. Not sure if you're looking at pistol size or the round for this purchase, but if you're looking for a small pistol Bud's has the Kel Tec P32 in stock for under $300. 7.7oz, 6+1.

4. WarEagleEd

It's mostly for the novelty of shooting the little center-fire cartridge. It's not intended for self-defense use. A family member has a Baby Browning and it is actually fun to shoot (and pretty accurate), but it is something of an heirloom, so we won't be putting a lot of rounds through it.

I will mark the Phoenix Arms pistol off my list.

These are cool and I may go this route, but I was hoping to find something chambered in .25 ACP.

Ed

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  5. Renaldo

Gotcha. The suggestion for the NAA 25 Guardian still stands then. They're good pistols that will last a lifetime and then some. The thing with 25 ACP is that right now, it's not a popular round and there aren't a lot of decent offerings out there for it. A lot of great pistols have been made in that caliber, they're just not being made anymore but you can probably find something on the used market that's going to be good quality and reliable.

If we can talk general pistol recommendations for a minute I would say to look for used Taurus PT25's or Beretta Model 950 Jetfires. You should be able to find either of them on the used sites for under $300. Both are great. Beretta has made a few models of 25 over the years and while they're the higher end here, they're going to be well made and worth owning. The Taurus PT25's are a knock off of the Berettas made on Beretta equipment, and while less in price, similar in functional quality. I've got a Taurus PT22 I love and would carry all the time if it wasn't 22lr. So, going to the used market is going to open up a lot of options here.

Also, if this is just to shoot at the range, why not get a Phoenix? I don't trust one to carry, but I'd trust one at the range. You may have to do some feed ramp work on it, maybe a little deburring or just very general fit/finish work on it, but nothing an emery bord or file can't handle.

6. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Hey WarEagle our good brother!

Have you made your decision on which handgun you are getting yet?

Keep us informed.

God bless!!

Michael

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I was another one that would sometimes carry a Raven .25 back in the 70s. It was a simple, reliable little pistol. Yeah, the Bauer, Colt, & Baby Brownngs were available. However, they were too expensive for me to justify getting one at the time.

I got one off an old man at a gunshow a few years back. He had bought it for his wife to keep around the house back in the 80s. They loaded the gun and had never fired it. It was still in the box with the instuctions, bubble wrap wrap, and a full box of ammo. He said his wife had pased away, so he wanted 60 bucks for everything. That was what he had paid for it and the ammo back then. He took 50.

My daughter decided it was just right for her and it ripped a clip off right outta the box. I tried to advise her to take a .380 or a 9 recently. but she Happy with that for now.

I hae a buddy that likes the little guns. He has the Baby Browning, a Broning clone, a Bauer, Colt hammerless, Colt Jr. and a Beretta. He does not shoot them much. He just likes to collect them.

Hope ya find what you are looking for.

8. Renaldo

The Raven 25 is a pistol I wish I'd bought when I had the chance. I used to visit shows for military surplus, camping gear and ammo back in the late 90's, and there were so many guns around back then that aren't now.

My white whale was at one of the last shows I went to back then. A guy had a table full of Norinco 1911's. They were new surplus, and either Nickel or Stainless (Back then I didn't care so much to pay attention to that detail) with black rubber grips. Price? $99 each. Yes, $99. For a Norinco 1911.

I had some 'must buys' I was there specifically there for, and needed to see how much I had left over. Because it still hadn't hit me what a deal that was. By the time I'd been through the show... I'd forgotten all about them. Remembered at home, went back the next day and he wasn't there. Never saw that table again. Thinking back, I'm sure I was one of the first people to see his table that morning and I bet he was sold out within an hour or two.

Still kick myself today. :D

9. Toakey

Toakey NRA Life Member

Went to gun show last weekend and found a Raven on a table. I didn't even pick it up. Just looked through the glass case to verify it was a Raven. Evidently they are still in circulation. I bet you could find one at a pawn shop.

10. WarEagleEd

I haven't decided yet. I'm still seeking suggestions. This is one those deals where I may look for a few (or more) years before I buy, though I hope to find something sooner than that. Also, I want to handle a Beretta Bobcat/Taurus PT25 to see how I like those. I want to peruse some of the off-the-beaten-path (and on-the-beaten path) pawn shops, too.

I did see a Colt Automatic/Junior at a gun show over the weekend. The seller wanted $350. I wasn't willing to pay that, though I went back to make an offer but it was sold. I did actually handle a Phoenix Arms HP25, but didn't really look it over thoroughy.

Pancho_Villa and Renaldo like this.
  11. Pancho_Villa

Yes, I remember the nice Norinco 1911s. Those could be had for around a hunddred. The Tokarevs for about 60 bucks. The crated Norinco SKSs were about 60 and the unissued ones in single boxes were 10 bucks more. I had an FFL back then and could not afford to get just a few at a time. However, it was hard to get much more for them cause the price was low everywhere. I ususally treaded them. The AKs could be had sometimes for as low as 225 shipeped if ya bough more than 1 from distributors. Just didn't seem woth it at the time cause the public was coming in and buying the crated ones by the crateload and selling them for double the $ at flea markets and swap meets. They could gert as many as they wanted just by filling out the forms.I did better by getting used stuff off people coning into the shows with collectible stuff. There was not much discount from the distributors on new guns anyway.

I remember Raven .25s going for 32 bucks fram the distributors for less than 5 guns. If ya got more than that, they were 28 each. Some dealers sold them for 35 bucks new and the flea market guys bought them by the dozens. They were getting more than double at some flea markets or swapping them for old guns.

I remember swapping one Raven for an old Colt New Frontier .45 double action. It was missing too many parts for me to bother fixing it. Well, one of the show dealers swapped me a new Mini 14 for it. Worked for me. It was something I could not affrdthen and they were only selling for 250 bck then.

As far as the phoenix goes, some work perfectly fine and others don't. Son I bought one off a guy that brought it intoa bunshow with 6 mags.It was a .22 with the short barrel only. We figured it was a problem gun and only offered 50 bucks cuase he wanted a 100. He never sold it and had to sell it to us. Yeah, it did have a problem with misfires. We traced it to a bad firing pin block or the slide mounted safety. IIRC, the gun has like 4 safeties, the slide mounted one, a manual one, and a magazine safety. Con't even remember where or if there was another. Anyway, the tiny spring that keeps the slide mounted firing pin block was weak enough so that the thing was flopping around while the gun was under recoil. Rahter than fugging with it too much, we just took it out. The safeties on that thing are redundant. It worked fine after that. It's just a plinker anyway,. It still has the manual ssfety anyway. And ya can lower the hammer too.

12. Pancho_Villa

004.JPG

Just jacking with the file upload. Gets kinda boring around here without any pics. 021.JPG

Well, let's see if it works?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Renaldo likes this.
  13. Pancho_Villa

Aside from the lousy pics I took, the images worked. Now I can gather all my pics again to work in this format..

I will be looking for the pic of he Phoenix HP22 to get back on the topic.

14. Toakey

Toakey NRA Life Member

WEE, I saw two Colt 25 ACP's today in Cabela's Library. I think they were referred to as "Vest Pocket" models(?). They were asking $650 each for them. If part of your desire is collecting, these are collectible and Cabela's will negotiate (a little).

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  15. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

My desires have been for an older .32 ACP.
    Of course, the Bersa Thunder 32 is first on the list.
    But knowing how people who have obtained these little beauties have been reluctant to give them up (or I am never in the right place at the right time!).
    So, I have looked at other models as well.
    I totally understand your desires for a .25 ACP.
    Hope your search goes well!

God bless!!

Michael

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  16. Renaldo

There are a handful of classic .32's here for around the $200 mark, including CZ 50 and CZ 70's. A nice looking Hungarian Duo-tone too. If you haven't seen these, I think you'll find them quite familiar looking.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/?caliber_gauge_revised=408&cat=55&stock=1

17. Pancho_Villa

Hey Toakey,

Guess those "Vest Pocket" model Colts were in excellent condition? Those are the Colt hammerless models IIRC.

Went through all my pics & updated them. Found a pic of the last CZ0 I had. Also found the pic of the Raven I got off an old man at a gunshow a few years back.

CZ-70.JPG

Attached Files:

WarEagleEd and Toakey like this.
  18. Pancho_Villa

Well, crap. Only one printed right. Gonna try again.

Raven .25.JPG

WarEagleEd likes this.
  19. WarEagleEd

So I have pretty much settled on a Colt Junior/Automatic/Astra Cub or a Beretta Bobcat in .25 ACP. But, I'm feeling kind of cheap right now and don't want to get in a hurry to get one and end up spending too much. So, I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on one of those. However, in order to "scratch my itch" short term, I bid on and won a FIE Titan .25 on GunBroker. I got it for $97 shipped, plus I'll have to pay a transfer fee to a local gun store. I know it is an American made frame that is an alloy with a high zinc content (ZAMAK). I don't really care so long as it goes "mouse toot" when I pull the trigger. It will be, after all, a stop-gap measure and a plinker to shoot at the range just for the fun of it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018