1st time to range, need some pointers for break in.

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by ECII, Jul 8, 2013.

1. ECII

ECII Member

tok our new Bersa Thunder to the range, I did not read about the need for break in, and did nothing since it had appropriate lube (minimal) like any of my other handguns. It would not feed reliably on the 5th and 6th round out of the mag, and that really stinks.

What needs to be done, can you link to threads that explain this break in period? I've not had to have break in time on other firearms before they would function reliably, though I have had better, smoother performance and more accuracy over time. A little disappointed by the surprise need to run several hundred rounds through it. My wife was going to qualify for her CHL license with this pistol, but she was unable to do so because of its issues.

Any links to break in procedure?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Field strip it and remove the factory crud you originally left in it...lube it according to the manual...and go back to the range.

3. ECII

ECII Member

It was stripped, didn't see any crud but I'm in cleaning mode so will give it a good once-over.

4. SHOOTER13

My 2 cents...

OK... I thought you said this:

"I did not read about the need for break in, and did nothing since it had appropriate lube (minimal) like any of my other handguns"

Just trying to help...

I would also check the feed ramp for any burrs...you didn't mention if you were using FMJ or HP's. Any firearm out of the box needs to be broken in by shooting at least of box of ammo through it. It's called function testing...and I myself do it to any and every firearm I own...35 at last count.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  5. ECII

ECII Member

I probably should have been more clear. I field stripped it just to know how, but did no cleaning. I took note that the lube was very light and did not notice anything unusual. Sorry for the confusion. I was using FMJ S&B ammo.

I figured a little break in would smooth up action a bit but never had a pistol FTF out of the box. Still, hopefully the cleanup will do. I could take a light polish to the feed ramp if I find any burrs, and mag lips as well.

I'm a rifle builder so am good with these things, which is why I was a bit surprised by consistent FTF out of the box, never had consistent repeating problem like that in any of my man firearms, which is why my first thogh was mag problems. Mag seems OK, but once I've broken it in, if it still is troublesome, perhaps a new mag will work.

Thanks for the help!

6. SHOOTER13

Understood...no problem !

The mag spring could be the problem...due to the fact it is still stiff (new).

I always leave a few mags fully loaded anyway...the compression may also help.

Also been known to sit in front of the TV working the slide a few hundred times...taking some of the stiffness out of the recoil spring.

disclaimer: **Remember to unload and double check it's unloaded...mags and ammo should not be in the same room**

7. ECII

ECII Member

I worked the slide about 200 times today ;-)

More to come.

8. chimera388

chimera388 New Member

My Thunder 40 Pro did the same thing through the first 200 or so rounds. Hasn't done it since. After some initial hesitation about my purchase (was my first handgun) it's now my favorite gun in my collection.

9. ECII

ECII Member

After working the slide at least 500 times... whew... there is a noticeable difference in smoothness of the slide channel. The factory finish where slide meets frame is now worn to proper bare metal and with a slight application of Militec grease it seems much more snappy. The recoil spring also seemed to ride a little rough on the barrel at first, after 500 cycles you can see where the rough spots were. It seems to be a pretty tight spring compared to other direct blowback/fixed barrel pistols, but I could be imagining that as I don't have the inclination to strip a bunch of pistols to see for sure ;-) But a light dry lube or light CLP coating will slick that up real well. Looking forward to another range visit soon.

10. hotshott

hotshott The "Bass-Tard" Son

EC11, Every gun that I own has received a complete strip and clean before any rounds are put thru it. I purchased my BT380 in November 2012. First time fired in December 2012. Outside on a farm. The gun worked flawlessly and continues to do so to this very day. I used S&B ammo and it failed miserably. FTF and FTE issues. My neighbor is in law enforcement and gave me a box of Winchester LE +P ammo and the 380 again worked very well. Mag break in is also important when it comes to the Bersa. The 380 has aprox. 1000 rounds thru it and although it is not my CCW, I would rely on it in any situation. I agree with you that All previous hand guns I own did not require a break in period, I am a revolver guy and buying a semi-auto was a difficult decision for me to make. After owning the Bersa I have no regrets. Good luck with your piece.

11. kdf

kdf Member

Bersas need a decent break-in period, usually 200-300 rounds. <><

12. rnfeliciano

rnfeliciano Member

Also don't use prromags in it

13. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

If your mag is anything like mine it probably had too much oil in it. I wiped down my two mags (1 Bersa 7 rd and 1 Meggar 8 rd) then loaded them up to loosen the springs a bit. Noticed oil just oozing out of the witness holes. Unloaded both, took them apart and ran rags up through the tubes to dry them out. Wiped down every part, reassembled them, wiped the rounds down and loaded them back up. Both functioned 100% but may have done so even with the oil in there, who knows. As I've said before "it's like chicken soup". Couldn't hurt.