You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of BersaForum.com    

Bersa Firearms Forum > Bersa Forums > General Bersa Discussion >

Thunder 380 failure to fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
Merhere

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Thunder 380 failure to fire

My Bersa failed to fire several times today. I re-cocked the hammer and it fired. The firing pin chamber is clean. Seems like it has to be the pin or the spring. ideas? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
dutchboy
BERSA_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2168 Times on 1587 Posts
Likes Given: 3579

Merhere, can you be a little more specific? Can you pull the trigger? Is it broken in? How many rounds have you put through it? What loads are you firing? Has this happen before? Is it consistent or sometimes? How old is the gun? You note that the firing pin chamber is clean, how do you clean it? When it fails to fire, is the cartridge seated properly, have you checked to see if it's seated properly or where the firing pin is denting the cartridge? Not that we have an answer, (will try) but it could be a multitude of things.

Thanks.

"The fool has too much pride to ask questions, however I say to you that it is better to ask 10 times, than go astray once".--- MLK, Jr.

Last edited by dutchboy; 09-15-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
Merhere

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Greetings... I can pull the trigger. I would say it's broken in. 2000 rounds approximately. I've been shooting the same ammo from day one. I had similar failure to fire occurrences during a previous shooting session. Cleaning the gunk out of the firing pin chamber resolved it... For a while.

I'll need to check the cartridge seating issue. I didn't think of that today. It could be that the firing pin is pushing the cartridge into place on the first attempt and by re-cocking the hammer (using my thumb) the second attempt fires correctly.

With that in mind, it could be a magazine problem.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
Pancho_Villa
BERSA_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1126 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

If your pistola is not fully going into battery, I would be suspicious of a wak recoil spring. Like you said, it may be getting "pushed" fully into the chamber by the first firing pin strike.

There are 2 things that have always bugged me about the mid size auto pistols.

One is the trigger usually sets off the sear by a bar that transfers the pull. In the case of hte Bersa and a few others, the bar is on the outside of the pistol and a smple raised area on the bar sets into a notch in the slide to act as a disconnector. I have had problems with the sear bars getting too much slack in them to the front & back. And some to the sides as they are held in place by the grip panel. This will sometimes cause the raised area on the bar to make conact withthe slide even when fully closed. In effect, the disconector is partially engaged and makes for a trigger pull that is either not there or barely working. However, you stated that the hammer does fall and the gun does not fire the first time. It does the second time. Pretty much the same condition as your slide not going fully forward. Disconector could be still makeing conatct witht he slide also and moves into place onthe second strike.

The thing that bugs me the most on any auto pistol is a slide mounted safetyu or decocker/safety. I have noticed on some of these Ihave repaired that the safety/decocker lever moves around under recoil. Some guns i have seen with a ball & spring detent to hold them and some with just a flat spring.. If the safey lever moves or does not lock into the fire position, the firing pin block with be partially engaged or dragging on the firing pin. It's hardly noticeable, but enough to cause a light strike. I have repaired several brands of mid size sutos of both the SA only and DA/SA types that had hammer block, slide mounted safetyies. Fixed some Phoenix Arms, Italian Tangfoglio small frame autos (now Known as E.A.A. and previously as Excam & F.I.E.) and even a Bersa or two. Even had one Makarov that would do it occasionally. It had a slide mounted decocker/safety and it was a bit loose in the slide.

As dutuchboy said, there could be one or more problems with it. Those are the ones Ihave found most common on the guns with the above mentioned features and problems. But that will gibeyou some areas to look at.
People Like This 
Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
Merhere

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I have a few things to check now.
Silverbullet Likes This 
Old 09-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
dutchboy
BERSA_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2168 Times on 1587 Posts
Likes Given: 3579

Keep us posted as to how things work out.

"The fool has too much pride to ask questions, however I say to you that it is better to ask 10 times, than go astray once".--- MLK, Jr.
Silverbullet Likes This 
Old 09-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
Silverbullet

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Morr info here.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/showthread.php?28113-Light-strikes

Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Merhere

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Update on the Bersa 380... I think the firing pin block was the issue. I took it out and put it right back in. Went to the range today and no soft strikes.

Thanks for the help. I wouldn't have considered the safety.

Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
rvenneman

Liked 26 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had the same issue but I was using reloads and was informed by the group that perhaps I was loading to light, especially for a new gun

Quick Reply