You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of BersaForum.com    

Bersa Firearms Forum > Bersa Forums > General Bersa Discussion >

380 Plus first shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 02:22 AM   #1
rvenneman

Liked 26 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default 380 Plus first shots

I took my 380 Plus to the range today for the first time for my first 120 rounds of FMJ break in. I had two issues out of the first 120 rounds. Before I go any further, my rounds were 100 gr Hornaby FMJ that I reloaded. I used 2.8 gr of Win231.
I had one FTE and 3 FTF. The round made its way up the feed ramp and into the chamber but the hammer did not set in the cocked position. I had to manually cock the hammer and then it fired.
Other than that, I had no other issues. I love the feel and the weight of the pistol as well as my new Thunder 9mm Pro UC I Shot 100 rounds through yesterday without an issue. I love the weight of the Bersa. The only polymer pistol is my Taurus 738tcp I carry in my pocket when I take the Frenchie for a walk.
Back to the 380 Plus, does anyone have any thoughts on why the hammer would not lock in the cocked position? I am very careful reloading with the powder weight and OAL. I am confident that I did not undercharge any loads since it did have enough blowback to chamber the load. Or should I chalk it up to the breaking in of the pistol?
Thanks for any help group.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
mulescj8
BERSA_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1156 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 2737

Congrats on the new additions! On the issue it could be several things, but I'm going to guess it's just tight at the moment, it takes 200 to 300 rounds to break them in. Some powders can be dirty and may add to the slide sticking a little. Do a good cleaning and don't over lube the slide, then continue breaking it in. A few on here have had to run past the 300 mark for them to be truly broken in.

With a new one there tends to be a lot of extra "lube and gunk" to preserve them while they are sitting around. During the break in process there is also the added flaking of the finish then add lube and powder residue they can get pretty dirty real quick.

PRAY HARD FOR AMERICA!
dutchboy Likes This 
Old 10-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
dutchboy
BERSA_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2168 Times on 1587 Posts
Likes Given: 3579

Gotta agree with Mule there RV. 4 boo boo's out of your first 120 rounds ain't' so bad! I think it's just the "Break-in". Keep shooting it and it should smooth out.

"The fool has too much pride to ask questions, however I say to you that it is better to ask 10 times, than go astray once".--- MLK, Jr.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
JackStraw

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Thunder Malfunctions

I have a 22 firestorm that I bought used. It began having malfunctions and I was considering getting rid of it.

Then I found a youtube from a guy who also had a malfunctioning 22. He fixed his by smoothing things but that is not what he thinks the actual fix was. His belief is that by cutting 4.24 of the coils of the spring, it increased the blowback and that fixed it. Also, he believes that the gun as to be 'wet' with REM oil. He said that regular gun oil was too thick. So, evidently the thunders like light oil.

I cut four coils off the spring on my 22 and used very light oil and got it wet and I had no malfunctions.

I don't know if I would cut springs on a 380 thunder but I might oil it good with REM oil.

Here is the video on youtube.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:35 AM   #5
9UC
BERSA_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I have a 22 firestorm that I bought used. It began having malfunctions and I was considering getting rid of it...........
I also bought a used FS22lr several years ago that looked like a NIB purchase, but have always stuck with CCI. One of those things I picked up on another Bersa forum so I stuck with it. Before I took it to the range the first time, I gave it a thorough cleaning with homemade Ed's Red cleaning fluid and used Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube on it as I do all my guns. It's actually a racing bicycle chain lube. Goes on wet, but dries within minutes so it is not prone to gather dust like wet oils will.
.....he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."Luke 22:36

Quick Reply