You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of BersaForum.com    

Bersa Firearms Forum > General Discussion > Conceal & Open Carry & 2nd Amendment >

History lesson on Tyrannical Gov. in USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Toakey
NRA Life Member

Liked 98 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default History lesson on Tyrannical Gov. in USA

Sorry for the long post, but you might find this interesting.

A number of years ago I had a discussion with a co-worker from Brussels, Bel. The discussion gravitated to gun rights and gun ownership. He asked the inevitable question, Why do you think you have a right to own a gun? We discussed the pros and cons of gun ownership until I mentioned that owning a gun helps the citizen to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. I said look at Hitler and all the other dictators. The first thing they did was disarm the people. His reply was, "I'm sure your American president could become a dictator if your citizens gave up their guns." That sort of shut down the conversation; I didn't have a good come-back, and I guess I was tired of discussing (arguing) the issue. I wish I had known about the "Battle Of Athens" to use in reply. It's kind of lengthy for a post here but it's a perfect historical example of government tyranny here in the Good Ole USA:

By: John Cylc

Historic Battle of Athens Shows Importance of Second Amendment

Some American political and human events in history are intentionally overlooked by those responsible for teaching and analyzing them.
The nation rightfully celebrates the civil rights movement and the March on Selma. Our children are taught about women’s suffrage and Susan B Anthony. The left loves to evoke memories of the Vietnam antiwar demonstrations. Modern day movements such as gay and transgender rights, the Women’s March, and the Occupy movements are celebrated in the media.
How many of you have ever heard about the major event that occurred in our country that shows the importance of your Second Amendment rights? The "Battle of Athens" was the perfect example of why our founding fathers were so brilliant as to include "the right to keep and bear arms" in our Constitution.
On August 1, 1946, there was a primary election in McMinn County, Tennessee. The two major towns in the county are Athens and Etowah. Political corruption and election fraud were concerns of the local citizens. The United States Department of Justice even investigated the allegations in the three elections prior. During those elections, most of McMinn County’s young men were off fighting World War II. There was even an incident where two servicemen home on leave were shot and killed by the sheriff’s deputies.
At the end of the war, approximately 3,000 experienced veterans returned to McMinn County. The GIs had known about the troubles back home, even while fighting overseas. They were not happy about what had been going on. They organized and actually put forth an "all G.I." political ticket for the primary. These ex-servicemembers promised fair elections and ballot counts.
In response, the local sheriff brought in 200 armed deputies. Poll observers, mostly GIs, were intimidated and beaten. One poll watcher was even shot. Multiple other incidents occurred and the sheriff decided to take the ballot boxes to the jail for counting.
Not trusting the sheriff, the local veterans gathered firearms and ammunition. After organizing and planning, they surrounded the jail. There was many exchanges of gun fire. Sometime during the early morning hours of August 2, the GIs made their move. Using dynamite to damage the building, they forced the surrender of those inside. The GIs posted guards to secure the ballots. When the votes were counted, the corrupt officials had been voted out.
I encourage you to research and share this event as a celebration and illustration of law-abiding American citizens using our Constitutionally-protected firearms for the betterment of our society and protection of our freedom.
The Battle of Athens is a major event in American history that is wrongly ignored by our educational system, our media, and our government officials. That alone should demonstrate why we Second Amendment supporters should hold the event up for all to see.
Use the Battle of Athens as an example to show your children what free men should be willing to do to protect that freedom.
Use the Battle of Athens to demonstrate to the media why gun control is antithetical to the Constitution and our freedoms.
Use the Battle of Athens to let our leaders know that we are in charge.
John Cylc is an eight year U.S. Army veteran. He is also a contributor to LifeZette.
9UC Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
9UC
BERSA_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 527 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Enjoyed the read and found it very interesting and even though just a small incident in a small town, the ramifications of it occurring at a national level are frightening.
.....he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."Luke 22:36

Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
butcherman

Liked 378 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Wow!! Thanks for posting.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Old 08-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Kennydale

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

https://youtu.be/6c-Dsg4X4Dk
YouTube link to movie made on the events that took place.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
Toakey
NRA Life Member

Liked 98 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
https://youtu.be/6c-Dsg4X4Dk
YouTube link to movie made on the events that took place.
K, Thanks for the link. I added it to my "Watch Later" Youtube list.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
Renaldo

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Wikipedia has an interesting and indepth page on this with annotations and links to the stories from major news outlets at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)
Toakey Likes This 

Quick Reply